Our mission is to find and share ways to make bread better for us, better for our communities and better for the planet.
The Real Bread Campaign was co-founded by Sustain and Andrew Whitley of Bread Matters and officially launched on 26 November 2008.
We define Real Bread simply as made without the use of any so-called ‘processing aids’ or other artificial additives
- Call for an Honest Crust Act to protect everyone’s right to know the full truth about a loaf before they buy.
- Champion and support small, local, independent Real Bread bakers, for example with our free Real Bread Map, the book Knead to Know, The Real Bread Loaf Mark, the No Loaf Lost surplus reduction project, annual events including Real Bread Week and Sourdough September, and ongoing media work.
- Run the Together We Rise project to help people living with mental health issues or otherwise having a tougher time than most of us, to benefit from baking Real Bread
- Have helped more than 10,000 children in at least 150 schools learn to make Real Bread through our Lessons in Loaf and Bake Your Lawn initiatives
- Help people to get baking Real Bread at home